Academy Prep offers a fifth through eighth grade middle school program designed to help children who qualify for need-based scholarships excel in their studies and develop the skills and confidence vital to compete and succeed as adults. Academy Prep classes are limited to 18 students. Students are strongly encouraged to enter at the fifth grade level, thus ensuring that they have the full benefit of the program. Admittance in sixth grade is acceptable as well, though the admission process is far more competitive at this level. To learn more about Academy Prep we recommend you join us for an open house.
To be eligible to attend Academy Prep, a student must:
- Qualify for the Federal Free or Reduced Price Meals Program.
- Show on an admission test at least the basic ability to succeed academically.
- Demonstrate the character to be a good citizen of the school and of the general community.
- Demonstrate a commitment to succeed through the summer session.
The Application Process :
- Submit a School Inquiry Form online or visit Academy Prep Center of St. Petersburg in person to complete the form.
- Register for Admissions Testing by calling 727-322-0800 x 2105.
- Prequalify for Step Up for Students Scholarship Award. Refer to SUFS guidelines by visiting www.sufs.org.
- Schedule a tour of campus or attend an Open House (this is recommended, but not required.)
What happens if my student passes the test?
- You will be asked to officially apply for the Step Up for Students Scholarship at www.sufs.org.
- You will complete an application packet provided by the Academy Prep office. (This includes a required teacher recommendation.)
- After a full review of the application, you may then be invited to participate in our summer session.
- You will schedule an interview with the Guidance Counselor.
- Your student’s academic and social progress during the summer session will be assessed for final admission for the fall term.